i love you!

[written 7/24/07]


This has been brewing in my craw for weeks now, and I haven't had the urge or the time to get it down on paper. Um, ahem, virtual paper.

Why are people so careless with the word "love" and why is the phrase "I love you" seemingly disposable?

No one can really measure true love, when it begins, or how it is felt.

But love takes time. It grows and flourishes. It takes work and sacrifice and compromise. You don't know if you really love someone until the going gets tough. A handful of laughs and good times does not equate to love in my book, or in the fucking real world either.


Personally, I have been in love three times, and only said "I love you" when I really felt it, and after extended periods of pondering if it really was love at all.

Cue Whitesnake : "...is this love.. that i'm feeling... is this the love that i've been searchin' for?"

Each time I have fallen has been deeper than the last, and often to my surprise. It makes me particularly wary of love, because the depth of the love one feels directly correlates to the pain felt for it.



Let's face it: everyone wants to be in love. I don't care you who are or who you think you are. People want love. People need it, as much as they need food and water.

However, too many people confuse true love with "fake love". What I mean by fake love is this ideal - and I read this in a book by genius Chuck Klosterman entitled Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs - fake love is that stuff that romantic comedy movies and TV sitcoms bank on.
It is contrived over and over again by smart producers and directors for the illogical masses; for the throngs of morons in this country who demand to see what they deem perfect and what they've concluded is their ultimate desire.


Let's face it again: In the pursuit of the above-mentioned fantasy, people jump into commitments for the wrong reasons, and undoubtedly shatter their lives by marrying or bringing a baby into the fold. 

More often than not, the truth comes out. Real love survives any test... while forced, fake love finds the former lovebirds at each other's throats. Forever. Sounds like a terrible way to live.

So, if it comes down to being alone or sharing your life with someone you don't love for the sake of companionship, which would be wiser?

I know what would be best for me, so I'm not asking for advice. It's just food for thought.

No comments: